Sunday, September 4, 2011

Progress Grades are Posted

First of all, let me tell you that I hate doing progress grades - especially during 1st quarter.  The reason is very simple...

I tell students and the school tells students and the district tells students that their formative work does not affect their final grade in a class.  And this is true.  But for progress reports, we do not have anything to base a grade on except formative work.  And I'm supposed to assign a grade based on the learning process, not the final outcome.  It's tough and nerve-racking!

Case in point:  Sashi (not a real student, it's my nephew's name) is working toward proficiency in solving triangles.  He is not there yet, because he is still in the learning process.  The feedback he has gotten indicates where he needs to work toward proficiency and he has received all pp scores (partially proficient) so far.  Since Sashi has NEVER reached proficiency, his grade is a D.  But these are not his summative scores.  Sashi may pull out proficiency by the time he is summatively assessed - and thus earn a B or an A.  Or he might be proficient on some of those big ideas - and earn a C.  Or he may never reach proficiency and earn a D.  As a teacher, I have a hunch how Sashi will do... but all I have right now to base a "progress grade" on is his day-to-day learning. 

Parents - please don't panic if your student's grade is not where you expect it to be at the end of the quarter.  And students - you too.  Pay attention to all the little notes I leave you on your proficiency checks, your homeworks, warm-ups and exit questions.  Correct your mistakes and check your answers with me!  Use the progress time as a time to make growth toward proficiency.  And come see me at conferences this week... Thursday, September 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment